On 11/13/2023 2:07 PM, Pedro Falcato wrote:
On Mon, Nov 13, 2023 at 11:58 AM Laszlo Ersek <ler...@redhat.com> wrote:

Hi Michael,

recently I encountered an uncrustify failure on github.

The reason was that my local uncrustify was *more recent* (73.0.8) than
the one we use in edk2 CI (which is 73.0.3, per the edk2 file
".pytool/Plugin/UncrustifyCheck/uncrustify_ext_dep.yaml").

Wait, you can use upstream uncrustify? I'm just using whatever
uncrustify version I took from the project-mu fork...

The fork version is needed for edk2 specific conventions. More details are here - https://dev.azure.com/projectmu/uncrustify?anchor=edk-ii-poc-details

Updating the version number in the YAML file (i.e., advancing edk2 to
version 73.0.8) seems easy enough, but:

- Do you think 73.0.8 is mature enough for adoption in edk2?

   This upstream uncrustify release was tagged in April (and I can't see
   any more recent commits), so I assume it should be stable.

- Would the version update require a whole-tree re-uncrustification?

Please, no. I didn't mind doing an initial reformatting at first, but
doing this continuously is both 1) problem-prone 2) just amazing
amounts of churn.
Let's say I have version N, you have version N+1 - we may never get
any final, formatted output as your version formats it differently
from mine.

I don't know how the CI is doing its thing atm (I haven't merged
anything myself to edk2), but the uncrustify check should be relaxed
to just a warning. There's nothing wrong with what my uncrustify
version is formatting to, there's nothing wrong with yours either, and
CI isn't necessarily wrong either.

And, to be fair, I already find uncrustify a large pain in the butt to
use (requiring a custom fork really does not help), but I find the
benefits worth it *locally*, as my coding style is also quite
different from the NT-esque style.

It should be simple to update and ensure everyone is using the same version. This requires stuart commands to be used (https://github.com/tianocore/edk2-pytool-extensions). I know there's aversion to stuart but that's how these extensions plug into the edk2 build process right now.

If you use it, as an end user, you just run "stuart_update -c .pytool/CISettings.py" and it will get the Uncrustify binary for your host OS with the version used by the project.

---

The version pulled and the source feed used by stuart are defined in edk2 here: https://github.com/tianocore/edk2/blob/master/.pytool/Plugin/UncrustifyCheck/uncrustify_ext_dep.yaml

That file and command are used locally, in CI, and the file is checked into edk2. At any given point in time, a user at a given point in edk2 history should be using the same version and configuration.

More details, for those interested, are here https://github.com/tianocore/tianocore.github.io/wiki/EDK-II-Code-Formatting. That tries to cover some niche use cases so it may seem more overwhelming than it actually is to just get and use the executable.