>  > Thats what I mean. Most users run bearerbox and smsbox on the same machine.
>>  If they are separate the its usually on two boxes sitting next to
>>  each other and performance is a key issue in those situations (as
>>  otherwhise you wouldnt use two boxes). So adding SSL to a performance
>>  sensitive environment isnt helping. But in those cases its relatively
>>  easy to make the network secure by using a separate network between
>>  bearerbox and smsboxes. The  only case where I think it would be
>
>of course you can use lower-level network security like IPSEC or
>something for remote communications. But in case of (relatively) easy
>and open internet based connections you will be communicating in
>plaintext.
>
>>  helpful is when the bearerbox is far remote from the SMSbox and
>>  reached over the internet. in that case however you might run
>>  bearerbox & smsbox in the remote location and run a local bearerbox &
>>  smsbox and interface with HTTP between the two locations and there
>>  you can use HTTPS with your patch already.
>
>but what about this:
>
>   bearerbox  <--->  (the world)  <---> smsbox/wapbox
>    (LAN 1)                                (LAN 2)
>
>so if you don't run beaererbox on the machine of LAN 2 you will have
>plaintext TCP connections between bearerbox from LAN1 and
>smsbox/wapbox from LAN2?

Question to the list: who is in real life using this?
You got a point here. For SMS you can do easily

bearerbox <>smsbox <---> theworld <-----> bearerbox/smsbox

but you can't with wapbox.

I think having it in the code wouldnt hurt for those who really want
to use it. however I dont think its worth the effort if no one is
ever intending to use it.
--

Andreas Fink
Fink-Consulting

Tel: +41-61-6932730 Fax: +41-61-6932729  Mobile: +41-79-2457333
Address: A. Fink, Schwarzwaldallee 16, 4058 Basel, Switzerland
E-Mail:  [EMAIL PROTECTED]  Homepage: http://www.finkconsulting.com
Something urgent? Try http://www.smsrelay.com/  Nickname afink