On Sat, 2002-06-15 at 16:05, Tobias Selig wrote:
> Hi everbody!
>
> Can anybody explain me, how the download of large files via wap
> is supposed to work? Many new mobile phones have nice features like
> polyphonic ringtones in smaf format or can accept gifanimations as
> background
> images as well as java midlets.
>
> As the size of files is limited to something around 15kb, i wonder how i
> can get around this limit?
>
> Is it enough to find the right code-spot in the kannel source? Or
> can i somehow set a WML-Link, which does not use the gateway and
> directly downloads the file via http connection.

Uh ? kannel (or any other wap gw) won't touch the file if it ain't
a wml or wmlscript.
You can request a gif without problems.

> Sorry for the maybe dumb question. But actually i really wonder how this
> should work.
>
> I assume that network providers will place an application server in
> their network
> for the java midlets.. But gif images and mmf files must go through the
> wap gateway.
>
> The question is: How?

Just set up the application server (*) and http server and everything
should work.

(*) I've seen an application server for java apps - to use with a
motorola aquaplain 008 - and it's only a http server with a xml index
somewhere in a /mot_download directory. Nothing special, but lots
of $$$ asked :P