>Andreas Fink wrote:
>>
>>  This is country specific. One possibility is to look up all network's
>>  HLR record to find which one responds to that number but its kinda
>>  tricky and only useful if done from a SMSC level (SS7).
>
>which is currently not possible for most of us Kannel production users
>here, right?!

Right. Without SS7 access, you wont be able to do it.
If there's enough demand for this we could offer that as a service to
the Kannel community.

>I have read something about a law regulation at least for the german
>"Regulierungsbehörde", but I don't remember if they suggested
>something like an open MSISDN <-> Carrier query server.

what I've seen from a case in Hongkong, they always do it in SS7
because mobile switches rely on those number lookup features. However
the source of the information is always coming from some centralized
/ decentralized synchronized database which all the carriers share in
some way. Of course the people who have access directly to that
database can use it this way without SS7 but then again, its country
specific while the SS7 solution is not.

--

Andreas Fink
Fink-Consulting

Tel: +41-61-6932730 Fax: +41-61-6932729  Mobile: +41-79-2457333
Address: A. Fink, Schwarzwaldallee 16, 4058 Basel, Switzerland
E-Mail:  [EMAIL PROTECTED]  Homepage: http://www.finkconsulting.com
Something urgent? Try http://www.smsrelay.com/  Nickname afink