I can comment more on how Hong Kong does Ported Numbers support.
As Andreas stated, all the routing is done through SS7..but not the
queries.  Each operator (mobile [MNO] and fixed-line [FTN]) keeps track of
which phone numbers are under their jurisdiction.  They then forward
the information to all the other operators every 12 hours.  This info
is incorporated into their backup databse and then pushed out to their
production database.  As a result, queries are done on the local
database, eliminating the load on the SS7 network.

The OFfice of Telecommication Authority (OFTA) stipulated that the
Ported Numbers database must be available to each operator. But there's
no requirement to provide this information to non-operators.  In
addition, each operator claims their number database is their
intellectual property.  As a result, it's next to impossible to
acquire the complete database unless:
  (1) your a licensed local operator
  (2) you have a number database of your own that you can share
Operators do not sell the database to anyone.

But, they will let you query their backup database for a FEE
($0.05 HKD per query was my cheapest quote). Some of the operators
provide an SS7 query service (fast but usually only available to the
international long distance [IDD] operators) and/or HTTP queries
(slow and no guarantee of minimal response time). All the operators
ban resale of the information queried from their database.

For IDD operators that can't gain query access from a cheaper local
operator with a number database, they are forced to get the service from
the very expensive registry kept by PCCW (formerly Hong Kong Telecom).

I would not be surprised if other countries implement the same senario.

My advice would be to get VERY friendly with operator providing you
with your access to their SMSC.  They must have access to the
Ported Numbers database for the SMS's destination country.

Be ready to pay a fee and don't forget to cache your queries.

See ya...

d.c.