I may be wrong, but I don't think the intention is for Kannel to be
a full-blown MMS Server / Relay, although that is a very interesting idea.

The issue is to be able to use Kannel as a WAP GW / Push Proxy for a third-party
MMS Server/Relay.
I have (briefly) tried out Kannel in the past with a Java-based MMS Server prototype,
and what needs to be resolved for Kannel to support MMS are basically two issues:

a) Full support for SAR. There seems to be some progress on this issue.
b) Support for some mechanism in order for Kannel to send the MMS server the
MMS sender's address.

That is how far I got with Kannel. There may be other issues that I'm unaware of yet.

BTW, the latest MMS spec proposes SOAP as the MM7 protocol. The protocol on MM4 is SMTP.

I can also help out with testing, since I have access to several MMS-C versions.

..Andries.

Andries J. Schutte

tel +1 781 998 4689

mobile +1 781 424 7284