From: Arne K. Haaje [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]
Sent: Thursday, August 21, 2003 11:15 AM
To: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: Re: splitting messages

torsdag 21. august 2003, 09:57, skrev DILWORTH MICHAEL:

thanks to all who got involved in this. I have certainly learnt much more
about the issue now.  excellent!

a quick summary:

I needed to have the split use different from numbers for billing reasons. We wanted to bill binary (ringtone and logos) on MT, but because of the
splitting issue we were in danger of charging for every message. As charges
are stated to the user simply, for example 1 euro per ringtone, it would
have been messy to fix this. I also work for the carrier and my comments
our billing systems were treated in typical telco style.. we arnt very
flexible.. anyway.. the idea was to send the first of the split from a
chargeable number and the rest from a non charging number.. simple if it
works. Also this would work well with our prepaid customers.

As we cant do this now we are faced with 2 more options.

1. send a chargeable "ping" message to the user.  if this gets delivered ok
then send the binary from a free short code. 2. implement MO charging.

option 2 is the favourite here as it seems to be the established way of
doing it.

Why can't you split the cost between the messages? If the price for a ringtone is 1 euro but it must be split into two messages, can't you bill those two messages 0,5 euro each?