Jari Juslin wrote:

> Alexander Malysh wrote:
> > all this stuff can be found at ww.gnu.org ;)
> >
> > from [2]: using the ordinary GPL for a library makes it available only for
> > free programs (see [1] for definition 'free programm').
>
> I think you are quoting that out of the context now; what the quotation
> means is that it is _possible_ to link for example Kannel with GPL'd
> software - but then the whole bundle must be GPL'd. Your quotation just
> tells, that Kannel licence, being a free one, is GPL-compatible and does
> not prevent it being made GPL.
>
> But there is no question about linking: linking GPL'd program with
> another program means that you have to release the combined program
> under GPL.

AFAIK Jari is right here. That's the "essential restriction" on the
GPL, forcing combined components to be morphed into the same policy,
hence GPL.

Which is definetly a problem.

But this would imply "only", that someone who wants mysql support is
not able to distribute the bundled binaries (hence included
libmysqlclient) under BSD style. He would require to make the whole
set available under GPL.

Right?

Stipe

mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]