ביום ראשון 25 ינואר 2004, 12:03, נכתב על ידי Raditha Dissanayake:
> The Problem here is that mysql does not intepret GPL in the same way
> that the rest of the world does.
> I wrote to them asking for a client license and they insist i need to
> buy the server license and with it comes the client license. Do i need
> to buy a road so that i can drive a car?

That's licensing issue which has no bearing at all on GPL. to use a GPLed
product in a GPL compliant code you don't need any special license.

The only reason you'd need a different license then GPL is if you want to use
 GPLed code in a product in a manner that does not comply with the GPL, in
which case the copyright holder can set any terms he or she likes - and it
doesn't have any effect on the GPL. MySQL can decide that in order to get a
license you'd need to send them a singing telegram, and that would be
perfectly OK - because you want a proprietary license.

If you want to use MySQL under the GPL license all you have to do is make sure
that your product complies with the GPL as I've written below. you do not
need any additional licenses from MySQL AB. AFAIU Kannel fully complies with
the GPL and so can link against MySQL libraries.

If OTOH you want to redistribute Kannel w/o source code (which the Kannel
license allows you to do), that also means you'd need to distrbute closed
source code that links with MySQL client code. this is specifically
disallowed by the GPL which means you'd need a special non-GPL license from
MySQL, at which point MySQL AB are allowed to require you to buy a server
license if they want to.

--
Oded Arbel
m-Wise mobile solutions

+972-9-9581711 (116)
+972-67-340014

::..
I'm desperately trying to figure out why kamikaze pilots wore helmets.
        -- Dave Edison