×××× ××× 26 ××××× 2004, 01:56, ××××:
> Oded Arbel wrote:
> > ×××× ××××× 25 ××××× 2004, 13:41, ×××× ×× ××× adi:
> > >
> > > Please note that current cvs version of kannel contains
> > > GPL code (i.e gw_uuid stuffs).
> >
> > Oh, in that case the whole MySQL/Kannel GPL issue is moot. if Kannel
> > already legally contains GPLed code then it sure can link against MySQL's
> > GPLed code.
>
> why is that?
>
> If Kannel "would" contain GPL'ed code, then it's own license
> (BSD-style) would be absolete, since noone would be able to distribute
> binary only software without sources. This would break the GPL
> requirements of the GPL'ed code, but would be allowed by the BSD-style
> code.

That's correct, but on the technicality of it, the GPL does not by itself
force Kannel to switch to a GPL license as soon as GPLed code is introduced.
There is the notion of "GPL compatible" license.
For the purpose of actually embedding code directly into the software, this in
effect makes the BSD license irrelevant, but the parts that are BSD licensed
may still be BSD licensed (including the freedom to take just the BSD style
licensed parts and release them in a closed source product).

Since Kannel does not embed the GPLed code of the MySQL drivers, but simply
link to it - something that even for closed source software it is still
disputed whether its a violation of the GPL license or not - then there is no
problem with that.

--
Oded Arbel
m-Wise mobile solutions

+972-9-9581711 (116)
+972-67-340014

::..
"We make up horrors to help us cope with the real ones."
        -- Stephen King