I think that I may have identified a potential hole in the implementation discussed so far, in that folks have often stated that the BIOS becomes write-enabled on a "reboot". To be a little more specific, we could add a latch, as Richard suggested, but we could only open it up on a "cold boot", not a "reboot". Otherwise, the problem is that software could reset the EC after the system is up, which would open up the write-protect.

Therefore, the "signal" that would open the write-protect pin is removing the battery, then plugging it back in. It's also possible that holding down the power button for four seconds could do the trick, followed by pushing the power button again to do a cold power-on.

On second thought, is this really better than making kids hold down the spacebar for 4-5 seconds?