On 03/12/10 00:45, Somebody in the thread at some point said:

> If you are the user, then you should not be compiling software. :-) You
> should be using some repository and that repository is responsible for
> rebuilding the package.

I tend to agree with what you have been writing but this seems wrong.

I don't think I'm the only person who is using Fedora as a basis for
homegrown apps, if what I want isn't in Fedora (because I am creating it
locally) then I certainly will "compile software" as a Fedora user and
the case must be considered.

However I agree this isn't a real issue, the packages with the homegrown
apps should choke the yum update because they see the lib versions they
depend on would go away, so nothing breaks.

Then the pressure is on the homegrown software guy to uplevel which will
normally be a turnkey rebuild into a repo yum knows about and this seems
acceptable to me.

-Andy