Hi,

I'm still interested in seeing a linjpeg-turbo merger with ijg's own
code base. I'd say that the most performance boost brought in by
libjpeg-turbo is due to the specialized SIMD routines, which
theoretically can be easily merged. libjpeg-turbo has also some
weaknesses such as (as provided from the project's homepage):

1. Worse chroma upsampling quality, where libjpeg-turbo is favoring
speed over accuracy when upsamling the chroma components
2. JPEG's standard restart marker aren't properly handled, in favor of
a faster huffman decoding
3. Asymetric performance gain between 32bit and 64bit arch., which
means specific, per arch. code paths and not algorithmic and
architecture wise tweaks that could benefit all the architectures.

To me, 1. and 2. are a bit worrying, I don't want to scarify standard
correctness over a 15% perf. boost. The only items that stands out are
the SIMD routines which can be merged with the ijg's official libjpeg,
and I think we should push in that direction instead.

-Ilyes Gouta