On Tue, Jun 14, 2016 at 4:02 PM, Michael Catanzaro <mcatanz...@gnome.org>
wrote:

> On Tue, 2016-06-14 at 15:40 -0400, Ben Rosser wrote:
> > This is a slight tangent, but by "remove Fedora packages", do you
> > mean
> > actually remove them from the distribution entirely or simply not
> > show the
> > packaged version in e.g. GNOME Software in favor of the upstream
> > Flatpak?
> > The latter makes sense to me, the former seems potentially
> > controversial.
>
> I was thinking remove the Fedora package. What's the point in
> maintaining a secret Fedora package for a graphical app, when we're
> going to be presenting a different version of that app to users?

Well, if a packager wants to maintain it, why not?

As someone who's a bit skeptical about containers as the future of software
distribution, I'd like to continue getting "traditionally packaged"
applications from Fedora where possible. I became a Fedora packager as a
large part because I wanted to expand the pool of such software that was
available in Fedora, by making it available to other users. It seems like
that's not a thing we're going to care about as much going forward, which I
guess is... fine, but I kind of have mixed feelings about the whole thing.

I suspect I am in a minority here, though.

> And as
> Josh says, this would also create confusion regarding where to report
> bugs, and also confusion when users have two different sets of bugs
> depending on whether you use a Fedora package or the upstream Flatpak.

That is a valid concern, and not something I'd have an immediate solution
for.

> There's no plan to systematically go around removing Fedora packages in
> favor of Flatpaks; rather, we plan to do this on a case-by-case basis
> at the request of upstreams that have developed Flatpaks and want those
> Flatpaks to be available in Fedora. Package maintainers would be
> allowed to dispute the change, again on a case-by-case basis, but I
> don't expect that to happen often. We're also planning to allow third-
> party RPMs to replace Fedora-provided RPMs following the same
> procedure.
>

> Full details at [1], just keep in mind this is a WIP document in the
> preproposal stage; i.e. we were not planning to propose it on this list
> yet.
>
> [1]
> https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Workstation/Third_party_software_proposal
> --

Sure, I understand that the recent press coverage of Ubuntu's solution in
this space (Snap) has brought some of this stuff forward preemptively. My
gut reaction, though, to *replacing* Fedora packages with upstream-provided
containers, though, is, "...thanks, I'll pass". My gut reaction may be
entirely irrelevant in the larger scheme of things, but maybe it would be a
good idea to at least start discussing this even if a formal proposal is a
ways off yet? Though this is a tangent, as I said originally, so maybe this
thread is a bad place for such a discussion.

Ben Rosser