Petr Pisar wrote:
> per Build Root Without Perl Fedora 25 change
> <https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Changes/Build_Root_Without_Perl>, I'm
> ready to implement the most visible part of this change.

That change completely fails to account for the unknown (probably very high)
number of packages that run Perl scripts at any point of their build
process. All the steps you documented to detect affected packages catch only
packages that actually have Perl-related output (because you scan the
RUNTIME dependencies for Perl module or libperl dependencies), which are
only the tip of the iceberg. I expect this change to break a huge number of
packages' build in very strange, hard to debug ways. It is likely that some
will even silently build with some important functionality removed, because
Perl was not available to build some generated file or test for some system
properties.

I also expect that a very high percentage of the packages will need a BR
perl (if not perl-generators or even perl-devel), making any buildroot size
savings moot, and actually SLOWING DOWN mock builds because perl will no
longer be included in the root cache.

IMHO, any approval you obtained for this feature needs to be revisited,
because you failed to accurately describe the impact.

        Kevin Kofler