Dne 12.9.2016 v 17:48 Basil Mohamed Gohar napsal(a):
On 09/11/2016 02:19 PM, stan wrote:
On Sat, 10 Sep 2016 22:04:22 -0400
Basil Mohamed Gohar <basilgo...@librevideo.org> wrote:

On 09/08/2016 03:44 AM, Basil Mohamed Gohar wrote:
Even since I installed F24 on both my desktop as well as my laptop
I've noticed a severe performance degradation in terms of video
playback.

Is this using a browser, or a player on the system, like vlc or mplayer?
What does your 'severe performance degradation' consist of?  Dropped
frames?  Lock up?  Artifacts?  Could network congestion or speed be a
factor?  Or do you just mean that the gui is slow to respond?

I've noticed this performance issue in both MATE (my preferred DE)
as well as Gnome.  I have AMD CPUs with AMD GPUs (the laptop is an
APU but also has a discrete card as well).

I don't want to use devel just to report a problem, but I'd also

This really belongs on users.  You can subscribe to users by
sending an email message to
users-requ...@lists.fedoraproject.org
with subscribe in the subject line, and from email address
basilgo...@librevideo.org

like some help in diagnosing the issue so that a fix can be found
– but unfortunately I don't really know where to start.

What does top show happening on your system when you notice the problem?
How about iotop?  Is there lots of disk usage happening? Are there
things like locate or other search aids running in the background to
update their databases?  Are you updating your system when it seems
slow? Is your system memory constrained?  Other cron scheduled jobs?
This usually is really heavy early in system usage as they build their
databases, and then tapers off as only incremental changes are made.

It's unlikely to be due to F24, more likely to be due to your situation.

Personally I'm also interested why the video playback  in Firefox is so
horrible.

I'm using C2D - this is easily capable to play high bitrate FullHD movies in mplayer.

Yet it gets chooked by quite low-bandwidth low quality 640-pixel-wide videos from Youtube.

Doesn't really matter much if the native h265 codec is used or it's passed through the oldish 'flash' adobe plugin.

Looking at 'perf' trace - it obviously spends ages in libxul - and it's very quickly passing though ffmpeg library used now by 'ff'.

There is some 'minor' difference between h265/flash playback smoothness - but none of them is NOWHERE near to be usable.

So whenever I want to see a video playing fluently without using some later 4x3GHz i7 CPU - I simply need to download video and play via mplayer....

I'd love to see some progress here - but it's getting worst with each new relase of FF - not mentionion 'FF' starts to cut interfaces so less and less plugins do work. And no I see zero interest of 'ff' group to solve this issue for Linux - they mostly care purely about windows these days :(....

And of course horrible playback is in '-safe-mode' as well - so no plugin could be accused for this. As well as I'm using -nodebug Fedora kernels
and latest/greatest  SNA xf86 driver.

Regards

Zdenek