On 11/09/2016 08:06 AM, Simo Sorce wrote:
> On Wed, 2016-11-09 at 10:04 +0100, Vít Ondruch wrote:
>> Speaking in "workstation" context, people might realize it is possible
>> to change, but they don't care. My computer is not my pet, I don't need
>> to name it, I couldn't care less. Honestly, it would be better if the
>> hostname was not shown in my terminal by default.
>
> The hostname is shown, historically, to allow you to understand on which
> machine you are running a command. It is oriented toward a sysadmin
> world, where it is common to log into many machines via telnet/rsh/ssh
> to perform various tasks.
>
> If we can ship default configurations that show the hostname in PS1 only
> for shells running on a remotely initiated connection and leave the
> prompt to something very short then I think that would work fine.

Historical reasons aside, part of this discussion was launched because having
something visible in the terminal that reminded a user that they are on Fedora
is of interest from a branding perspective. Since we already have the hostname
displayed there and we've established that defaulting to a static "localhost"
name is less than ideal, it seemed like an easy place to score double points:
fix the hostname problem by selecting a default that would also help with
branding.

Now, regarding Simo's point: I don't know if it's necessarily something we want
to do by default, but it's definitely possible to accomplish with Powerline[1]
(I know this because that's exactly how I have my system set up today).

If that's something we would legitimately like to add to Workstation by default,
please start a new thread on desk...@lists.fedoraproject.org where it can be
discussed and designed.

[1] https://fedoramagazine.org/add-power-terminal-powerline/