On Thu, Nov 10, 2016 at 11:17:20AM +0100, Theodore Papadopoulo wrote:
On 11/09/2016 02:32 PM, Matthew Miller wrote:
On Tue, Nov 08, 2016 at 03:25:58PM -0800, Andrew Lutomirski wrote:
If the hostname is non-constant, can we also arrange that, by default,
this hostname is never sent over the network?  In particular, I think
that DHCP requests should *not* include this hostname.  We're already
starting to randomize MAC addresses -- there's no reason to give a
persistent per-installation identifier to every network.
There's two different cases that I'm not sure how to resolve elegantly.
On a home network or on a business network, having the name available
is highly desirable. On a public network, just the opposite.

Add a checkbox in nm so that users can state whether they are on a
trusted network or not ??
This is what Windows does.

I'm not sure it's a good idea for other reasons - almost no common
network should be "trusted" ...  Should you be sharing your machine
name on your home network that contains some insecure IoT crapware?

Rich.

It seems like that should be a policy decision made by an administrator or user (or at least the spin/distro builder), especially if the alternative means not having that flexibility at a low level of infrastructure.

We're still being gently nudged to be using NM on actual servers, right?

-jc