On 15 Nov 2016, at 11:37, Bastien Nocera wrote:

As mentioned in the fedora-desktop thread about branding, I don't like seeing this sort of randomly generated and nonsensical (and I mean that in that a string of hex characters obviously don't *mean* something) shouldn't be user-visible.

Right now, you'd see the hostname on the machine itself in the Sharing and Details panels in GNOME, in bash's prompt, and in quite a few remotely accessible
services (the Bluetooth name, shared media, ssh, etc.).

There's nothing stopping us from having a hidden/secondary hostname though, and a randomly generated one would fit perfectly for this sort of use case.

Now that would be confusing for users -- a hidden name that bears no relation to the exposed name.

--
Mike