On Fri, Nov 18, 2016 at 9:36 AM, Matthew Miller
<mat...@fedoraproject.org> wrote:
> On Tue, Nov 15, 2016 at 09:01:52AM -0800, Adam Williamson wrote:
>> I would not be at all surprised to see a response to 1) be an effort to
>> define some specific hardware configurations that Workstation targets.
>
> Not completely by coincidence, I raised this at a Red Hat meeting this
> week. Since Red Hat is our primary sponsor and all, there's long (like,
> for twenty years) been the community knowledge that if you use the
> laptops Red Hat buys its employees, you have better odds. Red Hat IT is
> going through the process of standardizing the company on some select
> models (I don't know the details yet), and I asked if we could make
> that list public in Fedora — and was told "absolutely".
>
> So, that could be the foundation of a list of "targeted" models (I
> don't want to say "supported", since that's so loaded). Obviously, this
> is Red Hat bringing their particular stake to the table — or to use
> Smooge's metaphor, bringing some potatoes to the soup. I doubt that
> without a significant deal from Apple (which is vanishingly unlikely!)
> we would include Mac support in that, though, and it's probably not
> going to even include all of the PC hardware Fedora would like to run
> well on, so if we want that, we do need... more veggies.

It would be interesting if we, as a Project, could reach out to other
vendors and see if we can get some collaboration going around Fedora
support for their hardware.  Dell would seem to be a prime candidate.
Their commitment to the UEFI firmware update mechanisms has been a
fantastic example.

josh