On Tue, 6 Dec 2016 09:11:06 +0000, you wrote:

>> I'd expect .1 or +1 would rebase on the most recent GNOME.
>
>I expect we'd also rebase the virtualization stack in any .1 release,
>or even in the middle of a release if Fedora switched to a yearly
>major release cycle. 6+ months is already a long time to wait to push
>out new features to users, so making it longer is really not helpful
>from KVM virt stack pov.

The world has changed quite a bit since Fedora was launched, and as
anyone running stuff in the non-Linux world has experienced:

1) the base OS is on a yearly cycle with minor updates between (not
just macOS and Windows 10, but iOS and Android as well).

2) many of the apps one now uses update automatically without user
intervention so you never know what version of Firefox/Chrome/etc you
are using - users have gotten used to if not actually expecting that
the software continously updates and no user attention is requied
unless it is a significat change.

>If we get lots of stuff rebasing in a .1 release though, it seems that
>the result is not dramatically different from what we're doing today
>with 6 monthly releases.

So you restrict a .1 release to anything critical to the running of
the OS, and let the apps upgrade as they want.  This can have a couple
of influences on testing:

a) you only make 1 release a year installable, everything else is an
in place downloaded update via dnf.   Side-effect, this helps the
issue brought up elsewhere on the list about testing of physical
install discs.

b) presumably it is easier for testing to test individual apps with
major changes throughout the yearly release as opposed to cramming
everything into a short period before each 6 month release.

c) if the move to updates during a release is allowed, then it can
perhaps remove the haste in getting some applications "out the door"
in time for a Fedora alpha release, allowing more developer testing
prior to being thrown on top of Fedora (and perhaps then making it
easier to actually get Fedora released on time).

d) while there will still be some components that need to wait for an
official Fedora release - big compiler changes, incompatible
libraries, databases (maybe depending), it should hopefully reduce the
pressure to get everything into a release and thus ease the burden on
testing.