On Thu, Dec 29, 2016 at 9:04 PM, Matthew Miller <mat...@fedoraproject.org>
wrote:

> On Thu, Dec 29, 2016 at 07:59:26PM -0700, Dave Johansen wrote:
> > Currently, upstream has a release that includes the prebuilt
> documentation
> > and I've been using that but I was hoping to be able to build it as part
> of
> > packaging.
>
> Is there any advantage in doing that? There are several reasons to
> _not_ do it:

Right now, fmt can only be built from official releases with the
documentation and it's happened more than once that the documentation was
missing from a release, so I would prefer to be able to build everything
from a clean checkout.

> 1. Faster build times.

That's true, but it's not a very big package, so I'm not too concerned.

> 2. Timestamps in docs tend to be one factor against reproducible
>    builds

Isn't this a much bigger issue which solutions/implications beyond this
discussion?

> 3. Dragging doc-building stacks into build reqs tends to explode the
>    package set required to build things.

Yes, it is a bit annoying, but once again it's not a very big package, so
I'm not too concerned.