On 1/5/2017 9:12 AM, Jonathan Wakely wrote:
On 05/01/17 09:56 -0700, Chris Murphy wrote:
Teamviewer comes in an i686 only package for Fedora. So is there going
to be this interim approach, and then yet another change when they're
expected to use FlatPak? That's a lot of changes... And are these two
approaches compatible with the other platforms they target, or are
they just likely to drop the one it stops working on?

I can hardly imagine Teamviewer is the only 32-bit only GUI program.

There are all sorts of proprietary programs like Skype that are only
provided as 32-bit packages (there's a "skypeforlinux" package which
is 64-bit but it's an "alpha" release).

Maybe it would work fine from inside a 32-bit container, I have no
idea, but we should be careful not to make it harder for normal users
to install and use software distributed outside Fedora. And not make
it harder for ISVs to provide RPMs that work on Fedora with minimal
effort.

I feel like if this happens it will hasten the day when those of us primarily working in EL-variant land have to consider a need for a new, EL-forward, RPM-based open source "community" OS.

Fedora's role of breaking all sorts of things because $shinyNewParadigm -- moving further and further from the semblance of stability available in just being an extrapolation of where RHEL and its derivatives end up -- does create certain operational borders. Eventually that friction becomes unbearable.

-jc