IMHO it is exactly as Björn replied to you. Between 2010 and 2014 I was working
in aerospace where the exact time of an event is of the highest importance. In
this field there is deep understanding (based on several
hundreds-millions-dollars screwups) how much compliance to standards is
important, especially when working with/in the team scattered around the globe.
In fact, anything different than ISO 8601 looks just wrong for me.

The current "traditional" format is even more "wrong" than just not being
compliant to standards: It miss year and timezone. In my experience, people are
*often* able to set some system scattered around the globe, use different
timezones on different machines and even not provide the timezone used in
logged timestamps. Then something breaks, call you and you have additional
problem when the failure is not limited to single machine or single timezone.
The reason why I decided to formulate this change was that people use default
rsyslog format in their projects (real quote): "We've double-checked on the
timestamps, and it's consistent with other syslogs."