On 2017-06-15, Vít Ondruch <vondr...@redhat.com> wrote:
> Dne 15.6.2017 v 14:25 Jan Kurik napsal(a):
>> = Proposed System Wide Change: perl Package to Install Core Modules =
>> https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Changes/perl_Package_to_Install_Core_Modules
>>
>> Change owner(s):
>> * Petr Písař <ppisar AT redhat DOT com>
>>
>> dnf install perl will install all core Perl modules that come with
>> Perl upstream sources.
>>

>> == Detailed Description ==
>> Upstream releases Perl interpreter together many Perl modules. This
>> set of modules is called core modules. Fedora splits the modules into
>> subpackages so that installing perl package results in stripped-down
>> set of modules. Fedora documents this as a feature and provides
>> perl-core to metapackage that allows installing all the core modules
>> as is intended by upstream.
>>
>> Unfortunately this seems to be confusing to Perl users because Fedora
>> is the only distribution doing so.
>>
>> To align Fedora's behaviour to upstream and other distributions this
>> change will rename perl package to perl-interpreter and perl-core
>> package to perl'. This will allow installing all core Perl modules
>> with dnf install perl
>
> The modules will be weak dependencies, i.e. Recommends, right?

No. The main concern was installing "perl" package does not install all
modules. Weakening the dependencies would break this feature. I'd say
it's a branding issue. We could maybe in the future cut some modules but
because even the users requesting this change were unable to identify
them, we will probably keep the full module set there.

Fedora packages will depend on perl-interpreter package or /usr/bin/perl
file whose installation won't bring all the modules. There will be no
usage for the "perl" package in Fedora package dependency tree. It's
more like a comps group. But a package.

-- Petr