On Fri, Jul 7, 2017 at 4:24 PM, Jaroslav Reznik <jrez...@redhat.com> wrote:

> User Account
>
> Currently, users have the option of creating the initial user account
> in Anaconda, or not. Anaconda does not require this if the user sets a
> root password. Users who do not create a user account in Anaconda are
> required to create a user account later, by gnome-initial-setup. This
> means we currently have two different ways of creating the first user
> account in Workstation, with (potentially) two different sets of bugs.
> Since Anaconda allows configuring whether the initial user is added to
> the wheel group, it also means some initial users will be in wheel and
> others will not. We will remove the user account creation spoke in
> Anaconda. All users will create the first user account using
> gnome-initial-setup, and all initial users will be added to the wheel
> group. Of course, this can be easily changed after installation if
> desired.
>
> Root Account
>
> Currently, users have the option of setting a root password in
> Anaconda, or not. Anaconda does not require this if the user creates
> an initial user account and selects the option to add it to the wheel
> group. We will remove the root password creation spoke. All
> Workstation installs will have no root password set by default, as in
> Ubuntu. Having a root password is not useful for nontechnical users,
> and it is confusing to ask users to create multiple passwords. Because
> the initial user created by gnome-initial-setup will be added to the
> wheel group, all administrative functions will continue to be
> available within the desktop environment via Polkit. Additionally, the
> initial user will have sudo access to run commands as root. Of course,
> a root password can be set after installation using `sudo passwd`.

So if I read correctly, on the first boot the installed system will have no
user account and no root password. That might be very inconvenient for QA.
If anything goes wrong during the first boot (and it often does during
development), we need to be able to log in on TTY2+. Without the ability to
create an account beforehand, that's not possible. Rebooting into runlevel
1 is also not possible without root password (it's required by systemd).
One can reboot into Live environment and mount the disks, but that's
tedious, and most importantly, it requires a reboot, so we lose the
information about the running system (e.g. which process is stuck in a
loop). Also, I believe OpenQA uses pre-created root account in anaconda to
switch to tty2 and upload any error logs in case of any troubles, in a
fully automated way. So it's not just manual testing affected.

Thoughts on how to resolve that? It seems we need at least the root
password option kept.