On Mon, Jul 10, 2017 at 9:27 AM, Kamil Paral <kpa...@redhat.com> wrote:
So if I read correctly, on the first boot the installed system will have no user account and no root password.

Yup.

That might be very inconvenient for QA. If anything goes wrong during the first boot (and it often does during development), we need to be able to log in on TTY2+. Without the ability to create an account beforehand, that's not possible. Rebooting into runlevel 1 is also not possible without root password (it's required by systemd).

OK, I see the problem.

On the one hand, systemd needs fixed, as disabled root account is already a popular pattern on the largest Linux distro out there. This is an issue for rescue prompts too. But it's true that doesn't help the case where there is no user account at all.

One can reboot into Live environment and mount the disks, but that's tedious, and most importantly, it requires a reboot, so we lose the information about the running system (e.g. which process is stuck in a loop). Also, I believe OpenQA uses pre-created root account in anaconda to switch to tty2 and upload any error logs in case of any troubles, in a fully automated way. So it's not just manual testing affected.

Thoughts on how to resolve that? It seems we need at least the root password option kept.

My suggestion is some sort of debug option for Anaconda that would allow QA to set a root password when needed to investigate something going wrong, or for OpenQA. It could even allow visiting arbitrary Anaconda spokes. That's already possible if you edit /etc/sysconfig/anaconda before running anaconda, which is admittedly one more annoying step that you'd have to follow before starting Anaconda in order to debug the problem, but it works. OpenQA could also do that, though that's not superb as then OpenQA is testing its own special configuration.

Michael