On Sun, Jul 16, 2017 at 11:13:28PM +0200, Kevin Kofler wrote:
> Matthew Miller wrote:
> > I strongly dispute the idea that Fedora must be tied to a particular
> > packaging technology.
>
> The particular packaging technology is what ensures that we have a coherent,
> integrated system. Flatpaks by design cannot offer the kind of integration
> that native packages can offer, neither in terms of using shared system
> libraries (saving space), nor in terms of user experience (even with
> "portals", there will always be kinds of interoperation that the sandbox
> just cannot allow).
>
> And if the users will get their packages in a generic format rather than a
> native Fedora format, what advantage do they get from getting it from Fedora
> to begin with? The point of delivering Fedora packages is to integrate them
> into the distribution. Only native packages can provide that.

Exactly, upstreams might as well just deliver .zip files which unpack
into a single directory and provide a ./application.sh script to set
up the LD_LIBRARY_PATH and cgroups right.  That's basically what we're
talking about here when you strip it back to the essentials.

Rich.

http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/MinGW