On 17 July 2017 at 10:10, Matthew Miller <mat...@fedoraproject.org> wrote:
> On Sun, Jul 16, 2017 at 01:17:25PM -0400, Stephen John Smoogen wrote:
>> These sorts of deep brand issues are why most companies start new
>> brands which might look like they are competing with their primary
>> one. It can showcase some new identity and get people to see it as
>> useful or better than what they have already. It can also show where
>> things aren't going to work at all because people just aren't
>> interested in something. The Soap industry is a classic study in
>> brands where most people buy things because of something they tie to
>> the brand be it a logo, a smell, a look or even just the container it
>> comes in. Whenever the company changes those things, it causes
>> significant drop in sales and they are usually going back to what they
>> had. So instead a soap company will just start a new line with
>> whatever is different they want to see. No tie in with the original
>> soap. Sometimes that soap takes over and other times it just sits
>> there and goes away after 8 months.
>
> We could look at starting a new brand. But, I don't think your
> Harley-Davidson analogy applies, because we're not using this to break
> into a new market. We're using this to make sure that we remain

If you change something associated with your brand, you are making a
new market. It doesn't matter if we were going from RPM to
Flatpack+RPM or going from Blue to Purple. The people who associate
with the older brand are going to be shocked/bewildered/confused and
the new people are going to need to be convinced that RPM+Flatpack is
better than .deb+Snap.

Yes this isn't rational but humans are anything but rational. It is a
gut feeling and you need to use psychology to deal with it.

> relevant as the market we are in changes. Let's take the current shift
> to electric cars as a branding analogy — GM *could* have gone with a
> whole new name, but instead we have the Chevrolet Volt. (And Nissan
> Leaf. And Ford is even reusing the "Focus" name.)

Those are sub-brands where you can experiment on things.
GM -> Chevrolet -> Camaro
GM -> Chevrolet -> Corvette
GM -> Chevrolet -> Tahoe
GM -> Chevrolet -> Volt.

That is a branded name chain and it has a brand strategy of "You trust
Chevrolet and you trust GM. So you can trust the Volt because it came
from that chain". [Or the opposite if you don't like GM or
Chevrolet..] And if I go into a Chevrolet dealership I am going to
expect certain things because I know other Chevrolet cars. [4 wheels,
doors in regular spots, engine in the front, power, dealership help]
Fedora -> Workstation
Fedora -> Server
Fedora -> Atomic

sort of works in this context. However we are not taking the "we are
making the Volt" as a sub-brand. Instead we are saying "So all our
vehicles are going to be hybrids in 18 months." which is more of the
Volvo approach but they are going with a 4 year approach to get their
brand story in place about why and how they are doing it.

Look at all the pain and suffering that the dnf people have had to go
through for the last 3 years because dnf is not yum but it kept having
to be so because people expected it to be. Now multiply this by 10
because we are talking about something lower down in the guts where
everything from every spec file writing doc needs an update and every
'rpm -V' only covers some part of the OS.

Look I am not against moving this to a new format. I guess I am just
tired of the merry-go-round of "completely new feature that people say
will cause problems", "those are just complainers", "oh look we have
to rethink all these things and make it like what we had because those
complainers did have some legitimate concerns", "we had to miss our
market window because we were too aggressive", "well maybe if we come
up with this completely new feature..."

And with that I am going to bow out here as what I was hoping was
going to be "could we plan this out a bit longer" is coming across as
"stop". This wasn't helpful to the dnf people and burnt a good many
developers out completely from floss and I am not going to be part of
the burn out the flatpack group.

> I think this matches our current and upcoming challenge more closely.
>

> --
> Matthew Miller
> <mat...@fedoraproject.org>
> Fedora Project Leader