On 18/07/17 14:52, Richard Hughes wrote:

On a more general note I think a lot of people are assuming we're all
horrible evil people, trying to subvert the One True Fedora Way. This
is exceptionally poisonous and needs to stop, otherwise Fedora should
to drop both the "Friends", "Features" and the "First" in its motto.

I'm not necessarily concerned about subverting (or "changing" as I would prefer to think of it) the One True Fedora Way, if there are good reasons to do so and it improves things.

I'm more concerned that there will no longer be One True Fedora Way.

By which I mean that there will no longer be one way to update a Fedora system because workstations and servers have to be managed in completely different ways.

In other words that it's no longer possible to use clusterssh to run "dnf update" on twenty machines at once because each one is now a special snowflake that requires it's own approach to updating things - possibly even a mix of approaches if a developer's workstation needs "server updates" to update postgres and apache and "workstation updates" to update gcc and firefox.

Hell, is gcc a "server" thing? or a "workstation" thing? or both if we want to follow the true path of madness...

Tom

--
Tom Hughes (t...@compton.nu)
http://compton.nu/