On Fri, Aug 18, 2017 at 7:55 AM, Michael Schwendt <mschwe...@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Fri, 18 Aug 2017 13:43:28 +0200, Petr Stodulka wrote:
>
>> Hi folks,
>>
>> I found now that the setup rpm is removable from the system,
>
> Clarify, please. What exactly have you found out? Have you found an update
> case where one of the package updater tools removed it actually?
>
>   $ rpm -q --whatrequires setup
>   rpcbind-0.2.4-7.rc2.fc26.x86_64
>   shadow-utils-4.3.1-3.fc26.x86_64
>
> Whatever you've done, you would need to remove more packages before
> you could remove "setup".
>
> In case a tool like "dnf" has done it, I'd like to see the details,
> particularly the packages DNF used to replace setup and shadow-utils.

It doesn't replace it with anything, it just considers it okay to
remove from the system, because we don't have any protected packages
that depend on setup. Technically, the basesystem package is supposed
to be protected, but it's not. If it was, then setup would not be
removable.

In Mageia, we have a package "mageia-dnf-conf" that adds additional
protected.d files for protecting core system components. We probably
need the same thing for Fedora.