On 18.8.2017 14:18, Michael Schwendt wrote:
> On Fri, 18 Aug 2017 08:10:16 -0400, Neal Gompa wrote:

>>> Clarify, please. What exactly have you found out? Have you found an update
>>> case where one of the package updater tools removed it actually?
>>>
>>>   $ rpm -q --whatrequires setup
>>>   rpcbind-0.2.4-7.rc2.fc26.x86_64
>>>   shadow-utils-4.3.1-3.fc26.x86_64

  # dnf remove setup

I am not talking about update, I am talking about situation that you can break
completely
your system by removing of packages, that should not be removable. The logic
why someone
would want to remove such packages it is not relevant here. You shouldn't be
able to do that.
That's the point.

>>> Whatever you've done, you would need to remove more packages before
>>> you could remove "setup".
>>>
>>> In case a tool like "dnf" has done it, I'd like to see the details,
>>> particularly the packages DNF used to replace setup and shadow-utils.
>>>

>> It doesn't replace it with anything, it just considers it okay to
>> remove from the system, because we don't have any protected packages
>> that depend on setup.
>
> That doesn't make sense [yet]. It cannot remove it without breaking
> existing dependencies. It would need to remove shadow-utils, too, for
> example.

Obiously you are able to remove shadow-utils "without troubles" too. That's
just point
that the list of protected packages should be bigger. IMHO, packages that are
crucial
for basic run of the system shouldn't be removable.

Petr Stodulka
Core Services (In-place upgrades and migrations)
IRC nicks: pstodulk, skytak
Red Hat