On Fri, Aug 25, 2017 at 07:26:20PM -0400, Ben Rosser wrote:
> I have similar concerns and frustrations as Neal does, I think.
>
> I first want to comment that I appreciate your willingness to engage
> people (like Neal, and like myself) who seem frustrated with the
> future direction of Fedora. And also, I think modularity-- as you
> described it above-- is a very admirable goal. I have plenty of
> packages that do not really need separate versions per each Fedora
> release, and it would be nice to only need to maintain one branch for
> them.
>
> My fear is that Fedora, in the process of rolling out modularity, will
> get halfway to the idealized goal and then discover that it's not
> possible to go the rest of the way (for whatever reason), but also
> that it's not possible to easily roll back to a non-modular world, and
> we'll be stuck. Even if we don't encounter some critical design flaw,
> I could certainly see us learning that it's far more complex to
> maintain modules in practice than we think, or perhaps that it
> ultimately makes things more complicated for users rather than less.

Thanks Ben. You're right that we need to make sure we have good
contingency plans every step of the way. There's some irony here
because (see thread on this from a little bit ago) _successful_
modularity will give us a mechanism for backing things out that we've
never had before. But we have to get there. :)

--
Matthew Miller
<mat...@fedoraproject.org>