On Tue, Oct 10, 2017 at 01:51:30PM +0200, Jiri Vanek wrote:
> On 10/10/2017 01:44 PM, Michael Schwendt wrote:
> >On Tue, 10 Oct 2017 13:29:19 +0200, Jiri Vanek wrote:
> >
> >>Hello all!
> >>
> >>I seek advice how to proceed with following situation.
> >>
> >>There is new package for f27 - java-9-openjdk.
> >
> >>The issue is, RPM do not like change of directory to symlink which is
> >>exactly what happened, and
> >>dies with cpio error.
> >
> >Since you haven't commented on
> >   https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Packaging:Directory_Replacement
> >I wonder whether that would be an option?
>
> I'm well aware of this.  So am I aware of ways how to script out the above
> described problem.
> As I dont see much more options to do it differently, nor do I wont
> to scriplet the issue out, I wes hoping "unreleased software" would
> be my shield.

I don't think you can get around adding a scriptlet for the upgrade
once the package left testing in branched. Many people (me too ;))
install Fedora around when beta is released, and it is bad to break
the upgrade process for them. Especially that the failure mode for
dir↔file switch is particularly nasty. We push people towards
installing branched early and doing more testing, and the corollary of
that is that breakage must be avoided if possible.

(I really hope that one day rpm will handle this on its own, but
that's a discussion for another time).

Zbyszek