On Tue, Nov 21, 2017 at 05:22:32PM +0100, Stephan Bergmann wrote:
> On 11/21/2017 04:12 PM, David Tardon wrote:
> > On Tue, Nov 21, 2017 at 01:54:13PM +0000, Tomasz Kłoczko wrote:

> > > https://src.fedoraproject.org/rpms/redhat-rpm-config/pull-request/3
> > >
> > > [..]

> > > Call it educated guess if you want.
> >
> > You know, there is a way to get more reliable data: do scratch builds of
> > all Fedora packages and analyze the results. Then we'd know _exactly_
> > how many packages would need to be patched.
>
> ...depending on how thoroughly the analysis is done, as the breakage caused
> by an erroneous --as-needed might, at least in principle, only happen at
> runtime, rather than at build time.

Pretty much all software in Fedora is already shipped in other distros
which have taken this linking approach for a long time. So it is pretty
reasonable to expect these kind of bugs have been identified & fixed
by maintainers in other distros already. There may be edge cases remaining
which no user has yet managed to tickle, but that's true of many aspects
of Fedora. eg when we introduced the hardened build flags, there were
places where we wouldn't know about breakage until much later. Requiring
perfection before making this kind of change effectively means never doing
the change.

Regards,
Daniel