On Sun, 10 Dec 2017, Graham Leggett wrote:

> In this case, we have the needs of the Fedora project (this
> change) stacked up against your needs (your reluctance to
> perform a task).

This line of argument is a 'straw man' as are several other
rationalizations advanced for NOT giving effective notice.
As I read the thread, Steve has never said he was 'reluctant'
nor that he was unwilling to make changes, but rather he said
that he was troubled when PP changes 'get dropped on him' as
maintainer without effective prior indication that there is an
issue

The bugzilla, and tracking bugs, and Blockers and Depends are
just not that hard to use.  Much automation in this regard
exists -- FTBFS, etc -- bugzilla had an API for just such a
purpose

The proponents of simply making a change and letting the
maintainer take his luck, seem to think that using the tracker
and the overhead of opening bugs would cause load would go
up

I doubt it would turn out that way; This is almost certainly
not the case.  If a maintainer gets a notification via a bug
filing that some 'Future Feature' change is needed, and there
is a pointer in the parent bug as to the 'why' and the
approach to modify matters, I have to think that the proposed
will get applied next update round, and BY THE MAINTAINER, and
the dependent bug closed through the release automation

And where there is an impediment -- there was one on the font
removal matter 'blasted through' by a PP, and if asked, as in
a bug, the maintainer would so indicate, in such a case,
probably in the dependent bug.  He promptly did so for me,
when I asked directly

If filing bugs, and mostly having maintainers respond and make
changes does not work, why then the Fedoraproject model of
self-selecting volunteers maintaining packages is broken, and
Red Hat employees (which, if one examines the poster's
employer, is who want to 'parachute in' and use PP rights, in
the first five cases I checked) should simply do all the
commits

> The needs of Fedora must win in this case.

The predicate was a straw man based on facts not present in
this thread --- 'must win' seems to overstate the case.  Why
then even bother to have process?  Let it all hang out and
anyone commit as one will.  Well, this turns out not to work,
as we tried this with release three of the post RHL cAos
project, long ago, and got a royal mess with such a lack of
process

> Given your email address, I am going to assume you’re paid
> by you’re employer to work on Fedora, and are not working on
> Fedora by your own volition. This is the time when your
> mentor should step in set some of the ground rules for how
> you interact with a community.

so, now, an 'ad hominem' attack in rhetoric as well?  So much
for 'being excellent' to one another

-- Russ herrold