Hi Gerald,

I'll try to explain how I understood it:

On 02/26/2018 03:45 PM, Gerald B. Cox wrote:

> I must be missing something.... what is sad?  It has been stated that
> CUPS does
> not need any GPLv2 only component for building or linking.
The issue is about packages, which have GPLv2only license and they need
CUPS libraries for building or linking.
>   Tom's comment stated:
>
> "Thus, pretty much everyone is in agreement that GPLv3 + Apache 2.0 is
> a fine combination.
> If the combination is GPLv2 or later, then you can resolve any
> concerns about compatibility between GPLv2 and
> Apache 2.0 by using the GPLv3 license in situations where that work is
> combined with an Apache 2.0 work."
>
> and
>
> "As far as LGPL compatibility goes, because the LGPL provides
> permission for anyone to use the LGPL
> work under the terms of the GPL (section 3 of the LGPLv2 and section
> 2.b of the LGPLv3). LGPLv2 permits the
> terms of GPLv2 or GPLv3 (or any future version of GPL) to be applied
> in place of the LGPLv2 terms.
>  LGPLv3 permits the terms of GPLv3 to be applied in place of the
> LGPLv3 terms.
> Thus, LGPLv2 + Apache 2.0 _and_ LGPLv3 + Apache 2.0 are considered
> compatible."
>
> So what's the issue?

I think the problem's description lies lower in Tom's email - begins
"So, that leaves us with GPL version 2 (only) and Apache 2.0. In this
scenario, it is worth noting a few things:"

--
Zdenek Dohnal
Associate Software Engineer