On 02/27/2018 03:22 PM, Gerald B. Cox wrote:
> AA. Fedora is not (at this time) concerned about license compatibility
> issues arising from the relicensing of CUPS to Apache 2.0, in as much
> as this applies to linking of components together (our use case).
>
> BB. If you are planning on (or have) copying code from CUPS and
> including it in a GPLv2 only licensed work, seek legal counsel, that
> is a more complicated scenario that Fedora does not face right now (as
> far as I know).

Then I don't quite get A. paragraph, where Tom talks about requirements
which need to be done. Tom, would you mind clarify it for me, please?
> As I understand the issue - this is only related to a few projects
> that are GPLv2 and are using CUPS in such a way that causes license
> issues.  If that is the case they should simply change their license
> to GPLv2 or later.
That's the issue - change of license needs mutual agreement of project
owner and all contributors, whose made significant contribution into
project (AFAIK) . And it can be difficult.
>   It's that simple.  In other words, the onus to fix the issue lies
> with the projects that are using GPLv2 - not CUPS.  If they don't want
> to change their license, going forward they shouldn't be using cups.

Yes, I can package cups 2.3 for Fedora, but I don't want to create
additional work for packagers, whose components depend on CUPS, without
clear steps what to do when their package is GPLv2 only - because it is
not clearly clarified by upstream yet.

I would like to package new cups when I can clearly say - "Hi, CUPS
moved to Apache 2.0 license in 2.3.0 version, which is incompatible with
GPLv2 only. Packages which are GPLv2 only needs to be re-licensed, there
is only way.".

Zdenek Dohnal
Associate Software Engineer
Red Hat Czech - Brno TPB-C