On 04/03/2018 07:02 PM, Adam Williamson wrote:
> On Tue, 2018-04-03 at 15:25 -0400, Randy Barlow wrote:
>> One question comes to mind though - won't this be a problem in the
>> future too? How can we guarantee that users can keep upgrading to 14,
>> 15, 16, etc. since Fedora doesn't keep in-between updates in the repos?

> When I maintained ownCloud, I just shipped upstream major version bumps
> as downstream stable updates. I wrote a wiki page explaining that the
> upstream ownCloud upgrade policy was the reason for doing this. It's
> still there:
>
> https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/OwnCloud#ownCloud_package_update_policy

Hey Adam!

I think that's a reasonable stance to take on the update policy, but it
doesn't quite address the specific problem I was getting at. I wasn't so
much worried about pushing major updates to our users as I was worried
about a user *missing* a major update while it was still in the repos. I
probably didn't express this clearly enough, but to expand my example:

Suppose:

0. Fedora 29 ships with NextCloud 14.
1. A user installs NextCloud 14.
2. Fedora 29 gets an update to NextCloud 15.
3. The user from #2 doesn't install this, for whatever reason.
4. Fedora 29 gets an update to NextCloud 16. NextCloud 15 is now no
   longer available in any repo.
5. The user from #2 now updates from NextCloud 14 to 16, which it sounds
   like will be a problem.

Perhaps modularity is the answer here. Another suggestion I saw was to
put the major version into the package name. So there could be
nextcloud14, nextcloud15, and nextcloud16 source packages, but of course
this is an extra burden on the maintainer for a package that already
seems burdensome to maintain as is.