On 03/05/18 09:39, Tomas Orsava wrote:

<snip>
I just wanted to say that many users would not need sudo access at all if they were able to install software to their home directory in a way that it works
out of the box.
oh yes, that would be the ideal situation, and if ~/.login/bin is so
standard you'd think that things like pip would check to see if there
was a more up to date version of themselves in there and run it rather
than the system installation.

pip actually checks if ~/.local/bin is on the PATH and prints a warning if it isn't. But nobody predicted that ~/.local/bin might be on the PATH but only behind /usr/bin. That breaks the intuitive expectation that things installed closer to the user should take priority. Python works like that.

Oh I suspect someone predicted it I or else noone reads the fish book any more. The standard advice I've heard/read since the year dot is to append rather than prepend  ~ or $HOME paths, I guess that makes me old fashioned At the very least it seems like a fairly obvious thing to check for or at least pop up a warning for.  If your software breaks because your users don't do what you expect then you're going to have fragile software, I've found that life tends to work like that.

Scotland, with registration number SC005336.