Panu Matilainen wrote:
> On 05/04/2018 04:42 PM, John Florian wrote:
> > Just checking my own PATH, I see some surprising things at the front:
> >
> > $  echo $PATH
> > /usr/libexec/python3-sphinx:/usr/lib64/qt-3.3/bin:/usr/lib64/ccache:/usr/local/bin:/usr/bin:/bin:/usr/local/sbin:/usr/sbin:/sbin
> >

> > I love Sphinx and Qt, but what are they doing there ... at the front?
>
> Ditto. And *libexec* at that. libexec by definition is "internal
> binaries that are not intended to be executed directly by users or shell
> scripts", so it really does not belong in anybodys PATH.

It looks like a kludge to make python2-sphinx and python3-sphinx
parallel-installable and allow individual users to choose one or the
other, without breaking things that invoke the commands by their
unversioned names. It's yet another consequence of not designing a
programming language with enough forethought to make future versions
backward-compatible. I suppose we'll get rid of it some day when all
Sphinx plugins have been ported to Python 3.

Björn Persson