On Thursday, May 3, 2018 12:10:25 AM CEST Iain Rae wrote:
> no, I'm afraid you're misunderstanding. if someone steals a laptop the
> live user session can be  more  valuable than the root password. with
> the live session you have access to everything the owner of the sesion
> is logged into. with the root password you have access to everything on
> the laptop. But you can't for example access his banking account .you
> need the banking account login details.

If you have full root access while the session is running, you can access the
login details, too.  You can read memory or attach debugger to any process of
your choice.  Obviously, there cannot be any login details that are available
to the regular user but that cannot be accessed by root at the same time.

When you install programs from untrusted sources using sudo, you usually have
a user session running.  So the mentioned xkcd does not really apply here.

Kamil