Am 01.06.2018 um 20:22 schrieb Chris Murphy:
> Ironically, server, cloud, and VMs all benefit the most from the
> feature.

I'm just a user/bystander for the most part of this discussion but I
feel I have to correct this statement:

For the most part, server boot time is determined by firmware stuff,
before even grub gets loaded, so reduced startup time is always nice,
but when your HP DL380 Gen10 Server already need 5-15 Minutes until POST
is complete you really do not care about 5 Second grub display.

you really _need_ grub menus in production DCs where you still
run pet workloads and shit hits the fan (emergency boot into old kernel,
tweaking your already custom kernel cmdline etc), it happens really
rare, but when, you absolutely need it.

HTH to clarify what actual datacenter users _do_ care about (well, this
might vary, depending which DC OPs person you ask).

That said, it's less of a concern because we can of course recreate
the old behaviour, but I must admit, I like sane defaults.

But as I understand it, this change is limited to the workstation
edition of fedora, so I don't know why people come up with the topic
of servers in the first place.

--
Mit freundlichen Grüßen / Regards

Sven Kieske

Systemadministrator

Mittwald CM Service GmbH & Co. KG
Königsberger Straße 4-6
32339 Espelkamp

T: +495772 293100
F: +495772 293333

https://www.mittwald.de

Geschäftsführer: Robert Meyer, Maik Behring

St.Nr.: 331/5721/1033, USt-IdNr.: DE814773217
HRA 6640, AG Bad Oeynhausen

Komplementärin: Robert Meyer Verwaltungs GmbH
HRB 13260, AG Bad Oeynhausen