On 08/02/2018 05:04 AM, Neal Gompa wrote:

> This might surprise you, but I actually prefer the current way. It
> makes activating Rawhide an explicit action that can stay carried
> forward.

The same for the proposed change, once you install fedora-release from
rawhide you are on rawhide until and unless you intentionally switch.

>The other thing is, realistically, few third party folks try
> to build for Rawhide because Rawhide snapshots are either too old or
> too broken.
>
> Case in point, the Docker containers for Rawhide effectively look like
> Fedora 28, so what's the point? And upgrading to the latest released
> compose just breaks everything, so it's not useful there either.

I've been looking into this the last week or so by chance. Rawhide does
compose containers every day with rawhide compose, they are just not
correctly uploading to our registry. Hopefully this will be fixed soon.

I don't think the answer to something being old or broken is to sigh and
wander off. We need to fix those things, and I think we are making
progress on doing so.

> This change makes no sense unless we were actually going to make
> Rawhide something that people could rely on. And I'm not sure that's a
> good idea, since we have a nice cadence of releasing every 6
> months(-ish). It's already too hard to keep Rawhide working because of
> GCC breakages and the DNF stack work, and upstreams rely on our
> Rawhide tree to suss out these kinds of things.

I'm not sure I follow here... you don't think we should make rawhide
something to rely on because we have regular releases?

In any case I think rawhide is very useful and without it our stable
releases would be vastly more diffcult. We can definitely do better to
make it stable, but I think it's quite usable.

> And I would argue that special casing Rawhide is sort of the point,
> but I have no objection to making dnf --releasever=rawhide distro-sync
> also work. I just don't think it's smart to drop the release number
> thing and the fedora-repos-rawhide package.

The number will keep working too. We can make that an alias in
mirrormanager. So, for example if we had this implemented now and we
branched 29 off, '29' would point to the branched release, '30' or
'rawhide' would point to rawhide. If you installed fedora-release from
rawhide it would keep you on rawhide, if you install from branched or
distro-sync to the branched fedora-release (by doing a 'dnf
--releasever=29 distro-sync fedora-release') you go on branched. This
means you don't need to worry about fedora-release-rawhide and
enabling/disabling repos, and makes everyone's life easier.

kevin