On 09/24/2018 11:25 PM, Ben Rosser wrote:
> On Mon, Sep 24, 2018 at 3:39 PM, Mikolaj Izdebski <mizde...@redhat.com> wrote:

>>> This is an interesting situation. If more maintainers will decide to do
>>> this, we can easily break everything and only have modules, except we
>>> will no longer have any system to have those modules run on.
>>>
>>> (I'm not saying you shouldn't do this; I'm just really concerned if
>>> modularity is actually helping Fedora as a whole or if it will
>>> eventually break it entirely.)
>>
>> I was hoping for a solution like "ursa-major" described in [1], that
>> would allow modules to be used as build-dependencies for non-modular
>> packages. This would allow properly retiring non-modular packages and
>> maintaining only modules, which would be also used as build dependencies
>> for non-modular packages. But it seems that currently no one is
>> interested in implementing such solution.
>>
>> Java SIG is dying slowly, this package set recently lost another
>> co-maintainer and I don't have time to maintain all these packages by
>> myself. Switching to module-only content is probably the best move to
>> keep high-quality software delivered to our users and reduce maintenance
>> work at the same time.
>>
>> [1]
>> https://lists.fedoraproject.org/archives/list/infrastruct...@lists.fedoraproject.org/message/JZMPGE2VMBHDO4D6SC4YTRSYNQYZOT63/
>
> This is something that worried me also when I read this message.
>
> Are modules only intended for leaf packages at the moment? I admit
> that I have not really been keeping up to date with modularity. Or is
> the intended workflow that (eventually) everything's a module, and so
> if something needs to depend on a module, it too must be inside a
> module for this to work?

No, modules are not for leaf packages only. Non-modular packages can
depend on modular packages, as long as module stream is set as default.
(And of modules can depend on any stream of other modules, not just
default stream.) The work to convert everything to a module was
abandoned around December last year, IIRC, as it turned out to be too
difficult to achieve.

> This seems like it could become a problem, because I imagine that
> there are lots of leaf packages out there that aren't in modules, or
> don't necessarily need to be in modules-- unless parts of the
> distribution start becoming module-only.

Parts of distribution becoming a module-only does not prevent users from
installing other non-modular software. But it prevents non-modular
software from being built, as Koji currently cannot use modules in
buildroots of non-modular packages. But there is an ongoing discussion
with release engineering to change that, see [1] and [2]. I have some
hopes this may be implemented.

[1] https://pagure.io/releng/issue/7840
[2]
https://meetbot.fedoraproject.org/fedora-meeting-2/2018-09-27/releng.2018-09-27-17.01.log.html

> (Maybe this discussion belongs in a new thread, but I think it's important).
>
> Ben Rosser

Mikolaj Izdebski
Senior Software Engineer, Red Hat
IRC: mizdebsk