On Sat, Nov 10, 2018 at 8:57 AM, Neal Gompa <ngomp...@gmail.com> wrote:
Does anyone actually take care of our fonts stuff anymore?

Off the top of my head, there's Akira Tagoh covering fontconfig both upstream and downstream, Marek Kasik covering freetype downstream, and Nikolaus Waxweiler handling freetype upstream, Cantarell upstream, and the GNOME settings.

It seems unlikely to me that any downstream customizations would be accepted directly into Fedora, since we try to stick very close to upstream defaults. So please, send any desired improvements upstream.

For example, the gschema changes should go to the gnome-settings-daemon project, where it is probably going to run up against the fact that (I believe) Nikolaus prefers grayscale hinting. I'm sure he'd be happy to provide a rationale for why rgba is not default. Then the fontconfig changes should be submitted to the fontconfig project. The author of the changes should again be prepared to argue why the changes should become defaults. I don't see why upstream would reject the changes if they are good.

At the end of the day, font settings are highly subjective, so I'm pretty skeptical of anything called "fedora-enhanced-defaults" or "fedora-better-fonts". They don't look any better or worse to me. They just look different. So I'm inclined to trust the expertise of the people maintaining the font packages, who've probably not set the defaults as they are arbitrarily....

Michael