On 11/11/2018 19:23, Tom Hughes wrote:
[....]

That's interesting because I'm seeing the same thing in F29 but with
vertical edges on a non-rotated display!

I assumed it was related to subpixel antialiasing being enabled but
turning that off doesn't seem to help.

I'd say it looks more blueish than green, and it only seems to happen
at certain sizes.

Tom

That sounds/looks like subpixel rendering with the lcddefault lcd filter. AIUI on F29, freetype-2.9.1-5 enabled subpixel rendering at build time[1].

Try setting the lcdfilter in your local fonts.conf ( ~/.config/fontconfing/fonts.conf); or better yet, try building freetype with the "spr" patch disabled. This way freetype will use Harmony (available since freetype 2.8.1 [2]), a technique that offers LCD rendering using a different way than ClearType. I find it works well, for me anyway.

(Sorry for the noise if you already know all that :)).

[1]https://src.fedoraproject.org/cgit/rpms/freetype.git/commit/?h=f29&id=3f1c63550795a1ce04006b0e8f2daae6ca0ec26a
[2] https://sourceforge.net/projects/freetype/files/freetype2/2.8.1/

--
Ahmad Samir