On 11/14/18 2:35 AM, Daniel P. Berrangé wrote:
If Fedora had longer life cycles, and more streams maintained in
parallel, then I think the result would be that I end up doing
rebases for everything I maintain rather than trying to backport
anything. Admittedly this would somewhat negate the supposed benefit
of having stable long life releases, but its either that or the
releases bitrot accumulating more & more bugs & security flaws.

At least for the kernel, if we actually had a Fedora LTS we could
do the opposite of what we have now which is rebase as soon as the
kernel releases. The kernel already has LTS releases available which
are nominally maintained for two years (c.f.
https://www.kernel.org/category/releases.html).
Because of the timing of the kernel releases (about every 90 days)
we just end up rebasing within a Fedora release because there usually
isn't time to try and pick an LTS kernel to use. An actual Fedora
LTS would mean we could potentially align to what LTS kernel upstream
chooses.

More generally though, this makes sense for the kernel because that
project already thinks about LTS. If a project doesn't already have
a well defined LTS release then I suspect many packagers will just
end up rebasing because it's more comprehensive.

Thanks,
Laura