On Wed, Nov 14, 2018 at 05:43:15PM -0500, Matthew Miller wrote:
> On Wed, Nov 14, 2018 at 10:30:06PM +0000, Zbigniew Jędrzejewski-Szmek wrote:
> > I love Fedora, but the idea that you can take a 3 year old Fedora and
> > put it out on the web is just bonkers. We don't have the manpower and
> > the procedures to make Fedora suitable for this kind of use.
>
> Wellllllll, from my statistics, there's a lot of 3-year-old (and older!)
> Fedora out on the web today. But that aside, let's say we wanted to do it
> right *and* still keep the distro exciting and fun to hack on.
>
> What person-power and procedures would we need to add?

This is like asking how to turn Fedora into RHEL or Debian stable w/ support.
I think we'd need to
a) specify a set of packages, the "core",
   everything outside in the "universe" is not supported
b) find people to provide support for the lifetime of the edition
c) enforce the update policies to only do limited updates in old versions
d) find people to QA for those updates as they happen

I think it just requires a whole new set of people working on this. It's
not only that this is additional and different work. It's also that this
requires a *different mindset*. I think one of the reasons that Debian finds
it so hard to move, is because they *have* reached this mindset, and now
every new thing is suspicious and best-avoided. Long-term stability is
at odds with "First", and I think if we try to do that, we'll never do
it very well, but the things we are quite good at will suffer anyway.

Zbyszek