On Mon, Jan 07, 2019 at 06:24:14PM +0100, Lennart Poettering wrote:
> > * The Fedora community cares about privacy and is adverse to tracking
> > measures. We don't want to track; just count.
> Uh, so what's the story there? i mean, if you pass over the uuid you
> make clients trackable, regardless if you want to make use of that or
> not...

Not if we don't keep them for long. One idea is to rotate them fairly
frequently. But this is mostly a statement of intent and might be more about
how we build the backend than about what we force in the client.

> > * For this reason, we don’t want to use any identifier like
> > /etc/machine-id which may be used for other purposes.
> For purposes like this we have "application-specific machine
> IDs". This is exposed in the sd_id128_get_machine_app_specific() API:
> https://www.freedesktop.org/software/systemd/man/sd_id128_get_machine.html
[...]
> It appears to me that this concept is what you might want to use
> here. You could either use our C API for that, but you can easily
> reimplement it in a fully compatible way in any programming language
> you like without using our C API too, after all HMAC-SHA256 is pretty
> commonly available and not fancy in any way.

Thanks, that makes sense.

> BTW, afaik Ubuntu counts installations through NTP: they provide their
[..]
> Of course, doing it that way would mean fedora would have to host NTP
> servers...

Hmmm. We have fedora.pool.ntp.org, in fact. I'm not sure who actually runs
that!

--
Matthew Miller
<mat...@fedoraproject.org>